Friday, March 14, 2008

The Den of Pharmacology Hell

So it's a Friday and a rare day off from nursing school for me. I should be enjoying this beautiful day at the beach or at the very least giving my best attempt at pretending I still remember what it is like to be a normal human being. Instead I'm inside snoozing on top of my Pharmacology Book which has the exceptional ability of sending me into long bouts of narcolepsy.

I'm not sure how many of you out there have been lucky enough to be able to enjoy the sufferfest that is Pharmacology. My school is unique in that this class was specially "crafted" by our dean who apparently thinks that shoving as much information as humanly possible down students throats in the shortest amount of time is the the perfect recipe for concept retention. I'm not sure what parallel universe she's from but here on Planet Earth most people have a hard time teaching themselves, memorizing, and then regurgitating mind-boggling amounts of information with any hope of remembering the information for more than, oh I don't know, say one minute past the exam. If I thought this was just a weed-out class to see if we were capable of the academic challenge I would understand but we've already jumped through those hoops. If O-Chem and Anatomy weren't academic weed-outs then I don't know what one is. Not to mention that Pharmacology is information that we're really going to need a solid foundation of. I just don't understand why the class was crafted to be a rapid onset of acute pharmacological info diarrhea.

It's frustrating to know that I am putting so much effort into the relentless process of learning and memorizing all of this information with only the slightest chance of remembering any of it. I know I am not alone in the feeling that if we were given more time to learn, understand, and build a foundation of knowledge around the prototypes we would 1)have better grades in this class 2) actually remember the information 3)be able to recognize and know the clinical application of these drugs 4) utilize our knowledge of Pharm for the NCLEX. But silly me, why would we want to craft a nursing lecture class that actually is logical, humane, and effectual?...that would make too many people happy and just make too much darn sense.



What's also unfortunate about the whole thing is that I like my Pharm. Professor but she's just as frustrated with it as we are and since she's the only place we have to vent our frustrations and we're the only place she has to vent hers we look at each other in mutual annoyance and just continue to slog through the hell that is Pharm. class. So to all of you out there going through it this semester whether it be Anatomy, Pharm., Patho-Phys, or Med-Surg Clinical just remember that when we started nursing school, whether we consiously knew it or not, we signed up to be professional hoop-jumpers and this is just another large hoop at the circus they call nursing school...

No comments: